Wednesday, November 16, 2011

If only you knew how right you are, Kanye: GOLD DIGGER

The social world that ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­Lily is in is of particular interest to me. Firstly, I want to mention her ability to seemingly maintain her social status, even after her father is ruined. She is indeed only a gold digger without necessity to climb socially. Of course her treatment within this upper crust social realm is different than what it would be if she were wealthy again, but still she is invited to the same parties, and has the same companions, as presumably she would have even if she had money. Her calculative cunning is surely what maintains her in this upper crust social realm, but maintaining her status socially is also what pressures her to be a gold digger.

THIS IS GENIUS! 
The next thing I want to mention in relation to this social realm of hers, is that in reading the first several chapters I find myself pleading with her to maintain her relations with Mr Gryce, and to not fool around and waste time with a man she knows she will not marry. YOU GUYS, this is not my position on marriage, and I imagine is not the modern woman’s position on marriage. The difference being that a modern woman can “make” herself, and can make money, and the woman from the 19th century is not likely able to “make” herself without money, or marriage into money. As I was reading, I could feel the desperation and pressure that society puts on her to marry wealth, and I felt myself completely sympathizing her. I was taken a back when I felt turmoil over her choosing a walk with Selden over Gryce! I just wanted to hit her over the head for ruining up all her cunning courtship with Gryce! But lets be clear, in the modern day I cannot sympathize with a gold digger, but in my first moment of reading chapter 6, I was upset that she chose to take a walk with the man she seemingly loves, over the man that would benefit her the rest of her life. WEIRD. 

I love the palpable sexual tension between Lily and Seldon here!

3 comments:

  1. I love your post so much, especially the pictures. I like how you comment on her intellect and that although she doesn't have money she knows how to remain in the same social circle. Although does that make her a more or less likable character? -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good point. The social climate that she has been born into is not conducive to women rising in society UNLESS it is done in association with a man. It's frustrating to read this 100 years later and know that anyone can make something of his or herself, but the social context that Lily lives in is entirely different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of the above. Knowing what we know about Lily's prospects if she doesn't marry, we're sort of rooting for her to marry Gryce or someone.

    ReplyDelete