Thursday, September 22, 2011

STUBB!


I fell in love with you this week.
Since he is really the only character adding light-heart humor to this story I can’t help but latch on! I guess I’ll start with the Doubloon…
 “Humph! In my poor, insignificant opinion, I regard this as queer…What then should there bin this doubloon of the Equator that is so killing wonderful? By Goldconda! Let me read it once. Halloa! here’s signs and wonders truly!” (333).

Stubb

Ah, my kin, what is SO killing wonderful?!
I am constantly rejuvenated by his expressions, and love hearing his stories through out the book. This section of the book was definitely more Stubb filled, which in turn did make it so Ishmael wasn’t there at all, we are ten chapters from the end and still my heart yearns to know more about Ishmael. But honestly, I’ve had to leave any affection for him and Queequeg, since we hardly see them, and taken to heart someone new.

What really made me fall in love with Stubb, in a terrible way I suppose, since he is duping the Rose Bud, however, his manner of going about it was hilarious, I think I can forgive him his dishonesty for his ingenious plan.

I tried to find a voice clip of this chapter on youtube so that other people could appreciate the humor as much as I have, however, I couldn’t find anything sufficient, so I have gandered to make my own. The sound isn’t great, and there’s nothing really for you to watch, and you should definitely skip the middle and get straight from his nose comment to the conversation he has with the captain, but I have no skills in this area, so you get what you get!


The Pequod meets the Rose-bud is chapter 91, and starts on page 312 if you want to follow along. The narrators voice really captures what I imagine would be Stubb's tone, and humorous approach to this seen. He also does a wonderful impression of the voice of a man who is plugging his nose because of a vial smell, which adds so much to this scene! At no point while reading this book did I think I would be laughing out loud-- alone in my car! Thanks Stubs!


… The video is still loading on youtube, but will be posted promptly after this! J

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to your video after you mentioned in class how much you got from hearing the voice, Ashina.

    ReplyDelete